Important: This page is using cookies (cookies). Using this website without turning off cookies in browser, means that you agree for using it.
Buy Now! Features Downloads

Earn with us!

If you would like to start earning money with vBET join to Affiliate Program.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Translate API shut off or will be paid? Doesn't matter - vBET supports other APIs

Default Google Translate API shut off or will be paid? Doesn't matter - vBET supports other APIs

Have you seen this?
    Google Translate API - Google Code

The Google Translate API has been officially deprecated as of May 26, 2011. Due to the substantial economic burden caused by extensive abuse, the number of requests you may make per day will be limited and the API will be shut off completely on December 1, 2011. For website translations, we encourage you to use the Google Translate Element.

Michał Podbielski (vBET Staff) vBET's Avatar

Thanks a lot for this information. We will check it with details.
    Now to give quick answer. As we see Google gives alternative way for translation (Google Translate Element) - we will look close there.
    Also please note that in case if alternative way (Google Translate Element) will not be sufficient, then vBET will look for other translation services to make possible supporting translation after Google shut down its API.

So shortly - we will do our best to keep vBET alive

If anybody has suggestions about other translation services which vBET suppose to support, then please feel free to point it. We will make our own searching anyway, still it is always better to give solutions required by our users
    Last edited by vBET; 28-05-11 at 12:22.

that is really really sad vbet please keep us updated on this topic....

Default The Google Translate API will be shut off completely on December 1

Text automatically translated from: German to: English
    Translated text
    Moin,
    Google has announced plans to close the API for translations:

Spring cleaning for some of our APIs - The official Google Code blog
    Original text

Important: The Google Translate API has been officially deprecated as of May 26, 2011. Due to the substantial economic burden caused by extensive abuse, the number of requests you may make per day will be limited and the API will be shut off completely on December 1, 2011. For website translations, we encourage you to use the Google Translate Element.
    Text automatically translated from: German to: English
    Translated text
    Christian
    Original text

We are already aware of this (that is why threads are merged) - see answer: http://www.vbenterprisetranslator.co....html#post8679.

Of course we will keep you notified about the situation. As I wrote before we have some other options to discover - like optional solution given by Google and other translation API's.

I just made some tests with Alternative solution given by Google - Google Translate Element - and it is not enough to support actual vBET functionality. First of all its idea is to be build in into page and made translations on demand without any page reload. So this solution will not make available to change URL for different languages and to index such pages (it is clearly described in Google Translate Element documentation that results will not be indexed).

I was looking for Google Translate Element Terms of Service to find out would be possible to use its API out of Google Translate Element scope. I didn't found TOS for this service and I doubt that usage if its API outside Google Translate Element would be possible/legal - Google just made decision to shut down translation API.

At this moment I'm starting to look for alternative translations APIs. I already have idea how to change vBET configuration to make changes simple. So when we find other translation technologies we will just change checkboxes for supported translations to select lists - so you will be able to select translation service for each language separately. This is the idea now. We will work on it and check possibilities and limitations (including Terms of Service from other translations API).

We will inform you immediately about any news in this area.

Oh yes - one thing will be tricky - translation all to all. Google gave most languages. Other API's do not support so much languages, so some combinations of translations probably will disappear. We still need to check it with details.

Quote Originally Posted by vBET View Post
    Oh yes - one thing will be tricky - translation all to all. Google gave most languages. Other API's do not support so much languages, so some combinations of translations probably will disappear. We still need to check it with details.
    Mate, yahoo API - supports quite a few langauges, is "almost" as good as google's one.

We did have this conversation a month or two ago

Quote Originally Posted by MOGmartin View Post
    Mate, yahoo API - supports quite a few langauges, is "almost" as good as google's one.

Yes we did Right now priorities changed dramatically Then supporting other engines was just little thing which made lot of complications and give nothing to end user, so we was working on things which was real improvements. Now supporting other translation API is the most important thing for vBET

Also In case if some languages will be supported only partially by translations API - in worst case scenario we will just do double translation. I.e. if X is supported as translation to English but not to Y, then we will made double translation. Of course such approach will degrade quality and performance, so as I wrote - this is worst scenario. We still have to check possibilities of other APIs.

Quote Originally Posted by MOGmartin View Post

Just checked yahoo and found no API... Just yahoo babelfish which is a tool. See here: Yahoo! Babel Fish - Text Translation and Web Page Translation - it can be added as translation place or translation select menu. So it is same as Google Translate Element. If I miss something, then please send link to yahoo translation API.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast