Important: This page is using cookies (cookies). Using this website without turning off cookies in browser, means that you agree for using it.
Buy Now! Features Downloads

Earn with us!

If you would like to start earning money with vBET join to Affiliate Program.

Thread: Will translations from vBulletin language manager still be used?

Default Will translations from vBulletin language manager still be used?

Not sure where to post this, but...

My question is how will vBET (my main interest here is the full version) handle if I have a hand crafted translations loaded into vBulletin's langauge manager?

Will vBET detect that there is a translation in the language/phrase manager and skip sending that part to Google for translation (i.e. only sending the actual posts for translations), or will the google translation override the available translation?

Michał Podbielski (vBET Staff) vBET's Avatar

Hi

We have as feature request integration with vBulletin language manager system. At this moment vBET translates everything. So if you have some phrases translated for GUI it will not be used by vBET at this moment.

About integration - we have in plans to:
    1. Check possibilities of integration with phrases system and integrate if it will be OK (some issues already discovered)
    2. Support in the future possibility to write your own translations which will be stored in vBET database cache (but will not be cleared like Google translation after 15 days).

As I wrote we already see some issues with integration with phrases system - most important is that all phrases should be opaque in not translate block to avoid 2nd translation by vBET.

But when we will already support possibility to give your own translation for vBET then most probably integration will not be required.

If you have any future questions please just write - we will happily help you

Integrating with the language manager would allow to import translations others have done. As the import/export file is a xml file, it would probably be fairly easy to make an application that wrap each phrase in a "vBET_SNTA" tag (each CDATA[some text] part).

So if there would be possible to tie each vBET language to a vBulletin language, and make vBET switch the current vB language for the session, it sounds like it would give a workable solution.

But as I neither know the inner workin of vBET or language selection inside vBulletin, I don't have a clue if that would be difficult or not. Might very well be that this runs into the difficulties you refered to.

Yes it seems to be quite easy and I already was starting this idea several times (hoping it will look better when start again). I do not remember now all the things I found (should be written in some of our notes) but as if I remember good some of those:
    1. there was no good hook place to map vBET language on vBulletin language
    2. not sure now but vBulletin throws it into static value
    3. simple opaque phrase in not translated area can be not enough in case of phrases with parameters - it really wasn't tested yet, but we already fought about it

We definitively will do more experiments in this area (most probably on some branch in SVN to keep normal code safe), at this moment we think that allowing to put your own translation gives more advantages, because phrases can be used only for GUI texts, not for content written by users. Own translations will allow to translate everything

If rolling your own version, instead of plugging into the existing version; then some sort of import system from a vBulletin language xml would most likely be needed. There is a lot of phrases in vBulletin, and not being able to import would make it less useful.

But as long there is any form of import/export system for vBet, then it is just a matter of how to later make a converter from the vBulletin xml to whatever format vBet wants. That solution would be good enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by Lundgren View Post
    If rolling your own version, instead of plugging into the existing version; then some sort of import system from a vBulletin language xml would most likely be needed. There is a lot of phrases in vBulletin, and not being able to import would make it less useful.

But as long there is any form of import/export system for vBet, then it is just a matter of how to later make a converter from the vBulletin xml to whatever format vBet wants. That solution would be good enough for me
    Please just open new thread in features requests with link to this one - there we are able to manage requests And we need you being author of thread in case of future questions.

Quote Originally Posted by vBET View Post
    Please just open new thread in features requests with link to this one - there we are able to manage requests And we need you being author of thread in case of future questions.
    Got a bit carried away while "thinking loud." New thread started