Important: This page is using cookies (cookies). Using this website without turning off cookies in browser, means that you agree for using it.
Buy Now! Features Downloads

Earn with us!

If you would like to start earning money with vBET join to Affiliate Program.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ¿How to configure a editor button for product bbcodes?

I'll detail a definition of the coding modification I need and I'd like to budget you for that.

It is not only avoiding translation among 2 laguages: It consists on a new viewing configuration available (don't translate spanish&catalan) as implicit mode for forum.

It should be complemented by a way to mark current catalan posts in some automated way (google batched query¿?) before autodetection is reactivated.

I admit Java-original-version viewing mode is quite suitable for our bilingual context.

I hadn't tested it untill now as I though it was only intended for SEO performance.

Michał Podbielski (vBET Staff) vBET's Avatar

I see 2 posts before you are asking for help, but in last one you wrote that actual solution is suitable. So assuming - do you need any more help here or it is already OK? Id you do - what do you need?

Related to the topic of this thread, I still think a button in editor to automate bbcodes insertion by staff members would be great.

As for my concrete forum, I'll detail my needs as a project in another thread.

So can we consider this one closed, or still some help here needed?

There are possible simple solutions to the issue you have:
    1. Turn on automatic language detection (vBET options in Admin CP) - users will just write messages and vBET will opaque it in lang BBCode automatically
    2. Force users to set their default language (also option in vBET) - when user has set his default language other that forum language then vBET automatically add to editor BBCode option (not like button, but like radio button - wrap into language or not) - you can see how it works even on our forum - just set your default language to other than English (use User CP).
    Both options are not ideal for my need.
    I'd need as a staff member to have a way to alter message language wrapping at just one click.

Maybe this is not troubleshooting, I admit. You can move to features proposals if you agree.

OK, but what for do you need this? I need to find out what is really needed. You already opened other feature request to create simple tool which will wrap all already created messages appropriately in lang BBCode. So if you will have this one then all old messages will be wrapped. Also if automatic language detection is turned on, all new incoming messages will be wrapped appropriately (with exceptions where Google will not recognize the language). So in such case what for this button? Please give us full scenario how you think it will be working. I understand you want to have button, but I really do not understand the need and I'm not sure is it already covered by your other feature request. Especially that you wrote now that this button is for staff member so as I understand now it is for correcting messages which are not wrapped in lang BBCode appropriately. Please correct me if I understand it wrong.

Even with autodetection enabled, I'd like to provide users a simple way to indicate they are writting in catalan as they write in both spanish and catalan in the forum.

If autodetection works 100% is not a must, but I think is a very simple request and is more versatile for bilinguals than the radio button selector: bbcode/no bbcode

OK so. I was lost, because in previous message I saw that it is for staff members not for all members. So I wasn't sure what for it should really exist.

Now I understand (sorry if you wrote it before and had to repeat it).

Your request it too unique for your particular forum to be included in official release. So we do not plan to include it in vBET. Especially that with auto detection enabled it is really not needed and as said Albert Einstein "things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler". We think that giving such button will only confuse users who will think that they must to click it in case of writing in Catalan. And this lowers usability of forum. Simpler solutions - like just write what you want and let the system care about the rest - are better for users in our opinion.

But we can help you to add such button.
    As I wrote already it will be easy if you use already existing functionality and just change the appearance of it. So vBET already knows how to wrap in lang BBCode, according to additional input from editor. All you really need is to change the look of it (we have radio button, you want just button) and include it always (we include in particular condition).
    So - you already know how to add the button as shows image include in first post. What you also need is to:
    1. include hidden field:
    Code:
    <input id="vbet_addbbcodes" type="hidden" name="vbet_postInLanguage" value="0">
    2. Include simple Java Script which will set there catalan code (not tested):
    Code:
     <script language="javascript">
    function vbet_setCatalan(){
    document.getElementById("vbet_addbbcodes").setAttribute("value", "ca");
    return false;
    }
    </script>
    Please note that you can made it more complex to allow set/unset the button
    3. Execute the Java Script function when button is clicked. So in your button add:
    Code:
     onClick="vbet_setCatalan()"
    If you do not want to make more complex function (which will be able also to unset value) then you can just set function body in onClick attribute and do not include java script as function at all.
    Also please note that if you want it to be user friendly you suppose to add this button as toggle button so user will know is it already turned on or not. This would be all much simpler if you would like to add there checkbox instead of button, but with button it is also possible to make it, just more complex if you want to make it right (so setting and unsetting)

Please note that the change will be visible after user commits message – so it will be used on server side.

If you want it to work on browser side, then you do not need 1st step – just Java Script function (attached to button), which will take by id (or by structure if you cannot predict editor id) editor text area and add to content opening and closing lang BBCode. In such case you also do not have to worry about any toggle button (user will just see that it is already added in editor). Just you should check it is already wrapped (does text start by lang BBCode) and ignore button click in such case (to avoid wrapping several times).

Please tell do you need more help here. If yes – please tell where particularly.

Thanks!

Very detailed and well explained, thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast