PDA

View Full Version : vBET 3.3.4 released

vBET
21-06-10, 16:54
Hello :)

We have for you new release of vBET. In this version we have performance improvements (most important one - full file cache for guests) and also some new features and few bugs corrected. Enjoy! :)

New:

Performance improvements

Earlier redirects for vBSEO wrong URLs
Full file cache for guests

Configurable file cache time to live
Configurable file cache time to live for less relevant pages
Configurable set of less relevant pages
Configurable set of pages ignored by full file cache for guests

All flags images taken as one file from server (css sprite supported)

Ignored words/sentences functionality

Supports: posts, group messages, visitor messages, picture comments, private messages

Opaque ignored words in already existing messages

Supports: posts, group messages, visitor messages, picture comments

Option to not translate content of code html tag

Changed templates:

vbenterprisetranslator_inpost_translate
vbenterprisetranslator_inpost_translate_alreadyin
vbenterprisetranslator_flag

Bugs corrected:

Defined dir for vbseo
Span breaking some layouts
Translate langtitle when answering message
Archive with vBSEO 3.5
Saving custom profile fields under translated page
Broken langtitle for long titles with auto 'Re:' option
langtitle parsed for newreply on translated view
Multi langtitle opaque

And few words about new Full File Cache for Guests functionality. When turn on it will check does request is from user which is not logged in. If it is from guest then it will check does result is not already cached. In case it is - full HTML response will be taken from cache. If not then it will be cached after output is generated. Please note that it will work also for your original pages - so it will improve generation time and make less DB queries also for not translated pages. It is highly configurable. It means that you can configure not only cache time, but you can also define which pages you confider less relevant and for those pages you can set longer cache time. By default cache time for normal pages is 1 hour (it means that guests can see forum changes after 1 hour if page was just cached) and for less relevant pages by default it is 15 days. Of course it is configurable by Admin CP. Also you can define which pages should be ignored by Full File Cache for Guest.
We were testing it for some time on our forums, still we consider this functionality as BETA. Also please note that you will have to set appropriate privileges to cache directory to be able to use it - otherwise cache files will not be generated. Details in configuration description.

PS.
We will include it also in vBET 4.x soon :)

Snake
21-06-10, 17:46
I dont understand this file cache, why would you need a 2nd cache, the main one already caches pages and only updates when new content is added, so why cache it for 1 hour again, your explanation is difficult to understand.

linuxtuts
21-06-10, 18:36
Super Mate !!

Thanks a million,

Darn: Thought this was for 4.0.x...Cool either way though...Can't wait for 4.0.x version. :)

bhanuprasad1981
21-06-10, 18:51
waiting for 4.x version :)

Snake
21-06-10, 21:55
How do i edit the css for the flags please, need to change how they display as it looks weird as it is.

steve
21-06-10, 22:39
Is customer support currently available? This latest update is causing redirect loops and I need assistant urgently.

Goanna
21-06-10, 23:17
waiting for 4.x version :)

Hello,

I will also wait for 4.x version ;-)

wowglider.de
22-06-10, 00:05
No installation instructions (or upgrade instructions)?

hotslot
22-06-10, 00:07
Ya why are we updating vb 3 stuff when its vb4. now.

come on vbet we should get vbet upgraded for vb 4 first!

Ramses
22-06-10, 00:46

Why do you think you are something better as the vb3 users?

rootksk
22-06-10, 11:35
Upgraded after server load problem :(

steve
22-06-10, 11:49
Does anyone have any idea how large the file cache could get before it has a negative impact on performance?

vBET
22-06-10, 15:44
I dont understand this file cache, why would you need a 2nd cache, the main one already caches pages and only updates when new content is added, so why cache it for 1 hour again, your explanation is difficult to understand.

Database cache caches only translations. Not whole HTML content. So when some translated page is generated, then first normal page is generated and after that it is parsed and translated. During translation DB cache is used and translated sentences are taken from there. Just sentences - not whole HTML, because each time translations can be different (i.e. different privileges of users, changed content). One HTML page can have hundreds of sentences to translate - vBET takes content between HTML tags. Thanks DB cache those translations don't have to be taken each time from Google - what consumes lot of time - instead of that, those are taken from your local DB. Still - normal page have to be generated and after that translated.

Full File Cache For Guests works only for guests. Thanks that we do not have to worry that users have different privileges and see different things. ll guests see the same content. Because of that we do not have to parse result and translate it piece by piece each time - we can simply do it one a while and cache full HTML output. So in this case when full page is not cached, or cached content is too old, then normal translation occurs - just like described before. But this time at the very end full HTML output is written to file. So next time when same request comes from guest we do not generate even normal page content - we simply stream to guest already cached HTML file. That is why we save lot of SQL queries, CPU and memory. We just give to user content from static file. That is why it is important to determine how long this cache will be valid. Because if something will change - i.e. new post will arrive to thread, then guests will not see this new post until already cached file expires. After that during next request, again normal page will be generated, translated, and cached - and this content guests will see i.e. for another hour (configurable). They will not see any changes until cached file expires again. Of course your users will see everything, because it works only for guests (so for robots also, because robots crawl your forum as guests).

Please tell did it help and in case of any questions just ask - we will gladly describe it more :)

vBET
22-06-10, 15:49
Super Mate !!

Thanks a million,

Darn: Thought this was for 4.0.x...Cool either way though...Can't wait for 4.0.x version. :)

It will be, it will be :) Most new things are already tested there. We just have more to do in case of Full File Cache for Guests on vB4, because we support there translation of more kinds of URLs for vBSEO and also Friendly URLs from vB. And of all of those we have to test it very carefully and still have to implement support of earlier redirect for some of those. Also - we will use this additional time to check any possible issues with Full File Cache For Guests (which is considered BETA now) on vB3 forums. We test it well, but it is always better to care more about good quality :)

vBET
22-06-10, 15:52
How do i edit the css for the flags please, need to change how they display as it looks weird as it is.

in file /images/vbet/flags/vbet.css
Please describe better what it means "weird" - maybe we will able to help you. Also we advise to use for such things Firefox with plugin Firebug - it will allow to show you exactly which css styles are used for specified elements. It is really helpful :)

vBET
22-06-10, 15:53
Is customer support currently available? This latest update is causing redirect loops and I need assistant urgently.

We got your email and check it. We cannot reproduce it on your server. You got response with question about exact URL which have this loop. Please check it and answer there :)

vBET
22-06-10, 15:54
No installation instructions (or upgrade instructions)?

Standard. Just make sure you make it all. Mostly users do not want to upload images again - you have to in this version. Now we have one image for all flags. If you do not made full update you will see broken flags.

vBET
22-06-10, 16:00

I know that for everyone his version is most important ;) And we do not want to argue with that :) In this case vBET3.x is earlier for very good reason: QUALITY. We add new important functionality (Full File Cache for Guests) in this version, and it was much easier to add it into vB3, because there are no Friendly URLs, and we translate only thread URLs for vBSEO. In case of vB4 it is more complicated - Friendly URLs must be supported, and we translate much more kinds of URLs. Putting it first in vB3. allowed us to test it very well on real forums, check that it is working fine, maybe will show some bugs before it go to vB4. And after we are completly sure that it is all fine, we still have to add in vB4 aditional support (Friuendly URLs, more translted URLs). That is why this time vBET3.x is earlier and we still need 2 weeks for vBET4.x. And thanks that you will get solution which have very good quality, ewen if it is more complicated thatin case of vB3

vBET
22-06-10, 16:02
Upgraded after server load problem :(

Please open new thread in Troubleshooting section and describe it more.

vBET
22-06-10, 16:08
Does anyone have any idea how large the file cache could get before it has a negative impact on performance?

There should be no such thing as negative performance impact because of file cache. It is because File cache do not grows... We create separate file for each request URL. So each cache file is simply static HTML file (cached output for request). When your server caches more and more vBET simply creates more and more files. So each time when such file is read:
1. It is read only result for this particular URL
2. We even do not read it to memory - just simply stream it to client using PHP function: readfile

Because of that even if your result page is really big - so cache file is also big, it will have no negative performance impact, because it will just stream this one file without even reading whole it into memory. So you will see advantages not disadvantages.

Snake
22-06-10, 16:51
Thanks for the explanation, i now understand, i ment the flags look bunched together, so i spaced them out with some custom css margin.

One last thing, your new code does not validate w3.

[Invalid] Markup Validation of http://www.computer-juice.com/forums/f43/pc-overclocking-guide-4465/ - W3C Markup Validator (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.computer-juice.com%2Fforums%2Ff43%2Fpc-overclocking-guide-4465%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.781)

Snake
22-06-10, 17:02
Also another bug, when i enable vbet, on some pages thread tools breaks, ie the link at the top - the drop down menu breaks. Then the thread tools at the bottom of the thread is missing it's icons. Also 'post reply' icon disappears. This bug fixes itself if i disable vbet. and it ONLy happens to guests. Thanks.

See here - Eternal "Aquiring network address" on network card - Computer Juice (http://www.computer-juice.com/forums/f47/eternal-aquiring-network-address-network-card-9961/#goto_threadtools)

vBET
22-06-10, 17:16
Thanks for the explanation, i now understand, i ment the flags look bunched together, so i spaced them out with some custom css margin.

One last thing, your new code does not validate w3.

[Invalid] Markup Validation of http://www.computer-juice.com/forums/f43/pc-overclocking-guide-4465/ - W3C Markup Validator (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.computer-juice.com%2Fforums%2Ff43%2Fpc-overclocking-guide-4465%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.781)

Yes - you are right. We will move our css link to other place. Thanks for note :)

vBET
22-06-10, 17:19
Also another bug, when i enable vbet, on some pages thread tools breaks, ie the link at the top - the drop down menu breaks. Then the thread tools at the bottom of the thread is missing it's icons. Also 'post reply' icon disappears. This bug fixes itself if i disable vbet. and it ONLy happens to guests. Thanks.

See here - Eternal "Aquiring network address" on network card - Computer Juice (http://www.computer-juice.com/forums/f47/eternal-aquiring-network-address-network-card-9961/#goto_threadtools)

Please open new thread for this in Bugs Reporting section :) We will be able to manage it. Also when you will write it there please confirm does it happens with Full File Cache for Guests turned on, or it doesn't matter.

steve
22-06-10, 21:57
We got your email and check it. We cannot reproduce it on your server. You got response with question about exact URL which have this loop. Please check it and answer there :)

Hi there

I updated vbseo from version 3.3.0 to 3.5.1 and the problem went away :)

thanks

steve
23-06-10, 00:16
There should be no such thing as negative performance impact because of file cache. It is because File cache do not grows... We create separate file for each request URL. So each cache file is simply static HTML file (cached output for request). When your server caches more and more vBET simply creates more and more files.

Excellent, the cache directory on one of our forums is over 10GB after running for about 12 hours, performance is fantastic its a great solution.

Taurus
23-06-10, 11:18
I urgently need help. After the upgrade I have this error on top of my forum:

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in [path]/global.php(400) : eval()'d code on line 1153

My whole forum is completely messed up. For some reason this only happens if not logged in. So for guests. If logged in, everything is fine.

EDIT: OK I realized that after I disabled the Use 'Full File Cache For Guests (BETA!)' everything is fine. So there must be something wrong there. (And I did CHMOD 777 -R vbet_guestcache)

steve
23-06-10, 11:27

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in [path]/global.php(400) : eval()'d code on line 1153

My whole forum is completely messed up. For some reason this only happens if not logged in. So for guests. If logged in, everything is fine.

What is your URL?

steve
23-06-10, 11:30
EDIT: OK I realized that after I disabled the Use 'Full File Cache For Guests (BETA!)' everything is fine. So there must be something wrong there. (And I did CHMOD 777 -R vbet_guestcache)

Ok, I needed to suppress PHP errors, the cache was checking for the file age on files that didn't exist and was bugging out. The file cache is an awesome addition, if you can use it you wont regret it.

Taurus
23-06-10, 11:36
Yes, I realize this. I really hope Micheal can sort this.

steve
23-06-10, 11:45
Yes, I realize this. I really hope Micheal can sort this.

No probs. I was just suggesting this because when I run into a similar problem yesterday, I was greeted with silence here. I guess community members helping each other out?? I personally wouldn't attempt a major upgrade if I knew support wasn't going to be available for the next 6 or 8 hours or more.

Taurus
23-06-10, 11:57
Thanks Steve man!! I really appreciate it!!

vBET
23-06-10, 17:09

Please open new thread for this in Bug Reports. We will be able to manage this there.

vBET
23-06-10, 17:18
Ok, I needed to suppress PHP errors, the cache was checking for the file age on files that didn't exist and was bugging out. The file cache is an awesome addition, if you can use it you wont regret it.

This is in purpose - we do not check does file exists, to avoid unnecessary IO operations. According to PHP manual (PHP: filemtime - Manual (http://php.net/manual/en/function.filemtime.php)) function filemtime returns false for not existing files. We was not aware about any error messages - according to manual this function should not send any errors in case of not existing file. Can you please open new thread in Troubleshoting or Bug Reports for that with example of your error messages?

To all - please do not treat this thread as only place about this vBET version. For troubles or bugs - please write in appropriate sections. We will be not able to manage your issues if those will be here.

haiduongbk
24-06-10, 09:27
I upgraded from 3.3.4 up in 2 days. On the first link on google submited not as much as every day, and today saw decreases. I do not understand why despite all post topics and still growing normally. Who is like me? I plummeted from 145,000 to 139,000 links on Google

vBET
24-06-10, 09:42
I upgraded from 3.3.4 up in 2 days. On the first link on google submited not as much as every day, and today saw decreases. I do not understand why despite all post topics and still growing normally. Who is like me? I plummeted from 145,000 to 139,000 links on Google

This has nothing to do with update to vBET3.3.4 - Google simply doesn't react hat fast. There can be lot of reasons, but it is not vBET :)
Only reason it could be done by vBET (but not in such short time) is if some translated pages would not generate. If you find that some pages are not reachable - please note it to us. You can find it in webmaster tools.

haiduongbk
24-06-10, 09:52
Thanks Michal. I will follow it more time. and learn the cause.

vBET
24-06-10, 10:24
Thanks Michal. I will follow it more time. and learn the cause.

Mostly common is that people forgot that they made changes in robots.txt 2-3 months earlier (yes Google reacts in such time - it can be faster if you have super high Page Rank). Also sometimes people look on results in Google search - where is shown only approximated number of indexed pages, not the real one. So approximation could change to better one and it doesn't mean that any of your pages was removed from index. Also - Google is huge and have lot of databases which from time to time are updated, replicated and so on - this can be only effect of working Google database algorithms. Also Google is changing it's indexing algorithms and i.e. it is possible that some of your already indexed pages are now considered as duplication of content (i.e. most member pages are in 99% same) and removed from indexes.

As long as you do not see large number of errors in your webmaster tools you can assume that it is just how Google works. But if you see errors - then it is on your side and then you should react.

tavenger5
28-06-10, 21:59
There should be no such thing as negative performance impact because of file cache. It is because File cache do not grows... We create separate file for each request URL. So each cache file is simply static HTML file (cached output for request). When your server caches more and more vBET simply creates more and more files. So each time when such file is read:
1. It is read only result for this particular URL
2. We even do not read it to memory - just simply stream it to client using PHP function: readfile

Because of that even if your result page is really big - so cache file is also big, it will have no negative performance impact, because it will just stream this one file without even reading whole it into memory. So you will see advantages not disadvantages.

Hrmm, I like the idea of caching translated data, but wouldn't it be more efficient if it used something like memcache? Instead of reading data from disk it would read it from memory.

vBET
30-06-10, 07:22
Hrmm, I like the idea of caching translated data, but wouldn't it be more efficient if it used something like memcache? Instead of reading data from disk it would read it from memory.

Supporting of existing cache libraries is on out TODO list. Also, full file cache for guests can be really large for big forums. Too large to keep it entirely in memory - we will look for solutions which will allow to combine advantages of keeping cache in memory and on disc.

haiduongbk
02-07-10, 01:29
Mostly common is that people forgot that they made changes in robots.txt 2-3 months earlier (yes Google reacts in such time - it can be faster if you have super high Page Rank). Also sometimes people look on results in Google search - where is shown only approximated number of indexed pages, not the real one. So approximation could change to better one and it doesn't mean that any of your pages was removed from index. Also - Google is huge and have lot of databases which from time to time are updated, replicated and so on - this can be only effect of working Google database algorithms. Also Google is changing it's indexing algorithms and i.e. it is possible that some of your already indexed pages are now considered as duplication of content (i.e. most member pages are in 99% same) and removed from indexes.

As long as you do not see large number of errors in your webmaster tools you can assume that it is just how Google works. But if you see errors - then it is on your side and then you should react.
Have a week go by numbers of my site on google remains virtually unchanged and may even go up and down very small but could not come through 145000 figure (the figure of the previous week). 2 days ago it kept 145000. And today is 143000. I did not configure or change nothing about robots.txt file from last 6 months now. and I configured robots.txt file are as follows: User-agent: Mediapartners-Google * Disallow: updated status report still sitemap index is successful, but the URLs submitted shall increase the longer URLs in web index is found located on decreases. I don't know what happened to me again, can you help me how? I do not know where to cause. I use VBET Chapter 2.10 about 1 month but at that time I did not configure the vBSEO Sitemap Generator as instructed by you here (http://www.vbenterprisetranslator.com/forum/vbet4-integration-other-plugins/415-sitemap-generator-integration.html)) but when switched to a commercial 3.3.3 I was interested and read the instructions to configure config file for the sitemap. Initially with a very fine I see 3.3.3 excited about the rise of the Google index. Since the upgrade to 3.3.4, then get out. I don't know why anymore? Looking forward to your help. only 19 error time out in the report of my site in Google Webmaster tools

vBET
02-07-10, 22:33
Have a week go by numbers of my site on google remains virtually unchanged and may even go up and down very small but could not come through 145000 figure (the figure of the previous week). 2 days ago it kept 145000. And today is 143000. I did not configure or change nothing about robots.txt file from last 6 months now. and I configured robots.txt file are as follows: User-agent: Mediapartners-Google * Disallow: updated status report still sitemap index is successful, but the URLs submitted shall increase the longer URLs in web index is found located on decreases. I don't know what happened to me again, can you help me how? I do not know where to cause. I use VBET Chapter 2.10 about 1 month but at that time I did not configure the vBSEO Sitemap Generator as instructed by you here (http://www.vbenterprisetranslator.com/forum/vbet4-integration-other-plugins/415-sitemap-generator-integration.html)) but when switched to a commercial 3.3.3 I was interested and read the instructions to configure config file for the sitemap. Initially with a very fine I see 3.3.3 excited about the rise of the Google index. Since the upgrade to 3.3.4, then get out. I don't know why anymore? Looking forward to your help. only 19 error time out in the report of my site in Google Webmaster tools

In my opinion probably nothing happens. You have no errors in webmaster tools. 143 000 or 145 000 - this looks like estimation not real, exact number of indexed pages. And if it is estimation then estimated results can vary. From where you are taking those numbers?

vBET
09-08-10, 22:19

Corrected and will be included in vBET 3.3.5 :)

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChineseCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishTaiwaneseThaiTurkishUkrainianVietnameseWelshYiddish
Translated to other languages thanks to vB Enterprise Translator 4.9.2