View Full Version : Solved Strange code

moman
08-04-10, 08:04
Found this in the vbet_functions_hooks file:

if (THIS_SCRIPT == 'index' && !isset($_REQUEST['language'])) {
$vbulletin->templatecache['footer'] .= '
<span style=\'visibility: hidden;\'>aminiwerting</span>';
}

What's this good for? All it does is add an extra line break below your forum.

vBET
08-04-10, 16:00
Most possibly this is side effect of some of our internal tests (maybe for credit link - really hard to tell now ;)), which instead of being deleted by coder was just hidden in styles.

Please just remove it - as you wrote - it does nothing :)

moman
08-04-10, 19:19
That's exactly what I did :D

BTW, good job on the latest release- it seems that even at peak times with a 3Gb cache the performance is great! My server load doesn't go past 3.0 anymore! (that's with 1200 online on 8 core nehalem!)

vBET
08-04-10, 23:58
That's exactly what I did :D

BTW, good job on the latest release- it seems that even at peak times with a 3Gb cache the performance is great! My server load doesn't go past 3.0 anymore! (that's with 1200 online on 8 core nehalem!)

It is really great to hear that our customers are satisfied for our product :) We still have optimization plans (like file cache and cache engines support), but first have to implement some features requests from our users :)

moman
09-05-10, 00:16
FYI this code is still present in 3.3.3.

vBET
09-05-10, 00:22
LOL ;) I closed issue like in case of troubleshooting so we miss it in production. I'm opening it now to handle it appropriately next time.

Please just remove like last time. Sorry for troubles :o

chick
12-05-10, 20:24
Could you please tell me how to remove this from my BF version 3.33??? I also sent you a pm :)

<span style='visibility: hidden;'>aminiwerting</span>

Nevermind I found it

vBET
31-05-10, 20:45
OK - we have solution for that. It will be included in next release. According to code notes this part is helpful for us for diagnostic purposes (helps sometimes in case of issues to find out does it is templates thing or not). So code will stay, but will have changed style (to: display:none;) and will have absolutely no impact on layout :)

moman
02-06-10, 10:23
You should make the code entirely invisible to the end-user for SEO and bandwidth-saving purposes. Something along the line of a PHP conditional checking for a global debug variable would be much more professional.

vBET
02-06-10, 11:46
Yes, but we have often troubles when became to let us in to client server. Not everybody want to share access details - whole thing is solved 10 times longer then, and so on.

Please note that actual solution will NOT affect your SEO at all - this little thing is only applied to forum main page. And as described already helped several times with clients having not standard layouts and some troubles.

We will still think about some other solution which would help us in diagnostic our users issues without need to ask for access details. If you have any hints we will gladly consider it :)

moman
03-06-10, 07:45
No worries. I've removed the code entirely from my installation. Perhaps using an html comment would be even better for debugging purposes?

i.e. <!--end vBET output-->

or something to that effect.

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChineseCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishTaiwaneseThaiTurkishUkrainianVietnameseWelshYiddish
Thanks to vBET 4.10.1 enjoy automatic translations