PDA

View Full Version : Performance with large cache

moman
07-02-10, 09:02
I currently have my system configured to clear the entire cache every week. With an empty cache, my database is about 1.1Gb, while with a full cache, it's about 4.5Gb.

I've noticed that the larger the cache, the higher my average server load gets. At any given time my forum has between 650 and 1300 users online, yet this doesn't seem to affect the load as much as cache size.

With a large cache, server load is 3.3-3.8, while with an empty one, it stays in the 2.0-2.5 range. This isn't bad at all, as I have a 16-core server, but I was just wondering if such a behavior is to be expected with the fluctuating database size!

Thanks,
Adam

vBET
07-02-10, 23:28
vBET has indexes for cache tables and uses fastest MySQL engine for hat - MyISAM. So we have best choices for DB cache. Whole difference which you notice is not in side of vBET, but in side of MySQL which executes queries. Indexes gives you faster response and assures that time of response is not going dramatically up with larger amount of data. Still MySQL have to search bigger indexes and as I guess it takes more resources. That is why you notice bigger server load.

Also - when translation is in cache then it is taken from there. If not then Google is asked for translation. It takes more time then, but most probably takes also less resources of your server. It takes more time because there is communication with Google server which takes time, there is translation which takes time and there is sending results from Google to your server which also takes time. It takes less resources, because server is waiting for response passively and when it gets it there is only simple unpacking of response. Getting translation from cache is much, much faster - translation is already done and it is on your own server, still it need to be taken from database, query have to be executed, MySQL takes some CPU and memory for that.

Assuming - using cache is very good idea. If you will feel that server has issues with that you can experiment to disable cache for some languages and compare server performance. We do not advise to remove cache completely.

moman
08-02-10, 19:27
That's about what I expected :)

Performance is fine right now, it's just that the load never went much higher than 2.0 before vBET. I think it's worth it, though!

As long as the load is below 16.0 then the server isn't taxed, so I think we are fine :D

Konstantin
18-02-10, 23:08
Is there a possibility or the need to store the cache file to reduce the load on the MYSQL database? I use only 2 language because the number of messages on the Forum a lot and don't want the large size of the database dannyhBudet site with vbet work better after you install nginx, eaccelerator? do you Think about the redesign of the module to speed up its work on large forums? Use cache size 1-2 GB in my case not exit. Maybe there are some optimizations work? is it possible to put the forum module vbet 3.3.1 vb 3.8.4 + vbseo 3.5 RC2? why is it so expensive version without copyright? (220$) I'm using vbet 2.4.3 and would buy vbet 3.3.1. My forum is selling links for SEO Exchange. Copyright reference produblirovannaĆ¢ to 15000 pages for me is not suitable-90 $ is willing to pay but 220$ it very much

vBET
18-02-10, 23:35
Is there a possibility or the need to store the cache file to reduce the load on the MYSQL database will be whether the site with vbet work better after you install nginx, eaccelerator? do you Think about the redesign of the module to speed up its work on large forums? Use cache size 1-2 GB in my case no output. why so expensive version without copyright? (220$) I'm using vbet 2.4.3 and would buy vbet 3.3.1. My forum is selling links for SEO Exchange. Copyright reference produblirovannaĆ¢ to 15000 pages for me is not suitable-90 $ is willing to pay but 220$ is very mnogoƂ use only 2 language because the number of messages on the Forum a lot and don't want the large size of the database

We are planning to add also file cache to vBET. Because right now our priority and most efforts are on vBET4.0 we have no schedule for file cache functionality. Please remember that you can customize which languages will work with cache. So if you want you can use cache only for some of translation which you will make available. Also please note that paid version of vBET have improved database cache so it is faster that in free version. There are also other improvements in paid version - generally it is faster and taking less memory. We already have customers who are successfully using it on large boards.
We didn't made performance tests with nginx accelerator so cannot compare.
Please note that buying branding free license is not obligatory and you can always upgrade your license later.

Konstantin
19-02-10, 01:52
Thank you for your reply. Nginx is a server like apache. I advise you to read - caching works best in php + nginx + eaccelerator and your vbet can be much faster

vBET
19-02-10, 03:09
Thank you for your reply. Nginx is a server like apache. I advise you to read - caching works best in php + nginx + eaccelerator and your vbet can be much faster

At this moment we are very close to vBET4.0 release and we have lot of work with that. If you want us to test vBET under nginx, then please open new thread in Feature Request. If nginx runs php then vBET will work there. One issue - if you want to use translation SEO links then rewrite rules will be necessary. We have those prepared only for apache in .htaccess file at this moment, but if you are not able to rewrite it from apache to nginx then you can always use links with language attribute - this is very easy. You can experiment with free version to avoid any unexpected issues before you buy paid one.

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChineseCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishTaiwaneseThaiTurkishUkrainianVietnameseWelshYiddish
Translated to other languages supported by vBET Translator 4.10.1