PDA

View Full Version : Plans changed for vBET 3.3.0 release

vBET
09-01-10, 21:31
Hello :)

Because lot of our customers just cannot wait when new, better and even faster version of vBET will be released we decided to made changes in schedule :) In fact - our clients are who gives direction for our product.

So vBET 3.3.0 will be released next week (probably at the end). We made there many performance optimizations (better DB, less CPU, less memory), added new functionalities and corrected some bugs. Please note that we still have long list of things which we planned to do for vBET 3.3.0 - those will be switched to 3.4.0, and after 3.4.0 we will made vBET 4.0.0 (for vBulletin 4.0). So at the end vBET 4.0 will be released in same time and you will have faster the optimized version - vBET 3.3.0

Because of that not all things which was marked as to be done in 3.3.0 really will be. So if some feature request, or bug report will not be closed it means that we shifter id to vBET 3.4.0

Since our customers already get used to simple updates we think that it is really good solution, to give you improved version faster - even if we still have some improvements in out plans :)

Michael
09-01-10, 22:26
I am glad to hear this!

I have a question, will vbet still be supported for vb3x when the vb4 version is released?

Thanks.

vBET
09-01-10, 23:45
Yes booth lines will be supported :)

Michael
10-01-10, 00:00
Awesome thank you.

tavenger5
10-01-10, 00:45
great can't wait!

bhanuprasad1981
10-01-10, 16:12
how much time it may take for vb4 compatible version to come online ?

yahoooh
11-01-10, 07:47
Beautiful story and thank him and success

Matt Olieman
11-01-10, 18:08
WHAT?????? It's not vB4 compatible?

I went on the presumption at vbulletin.org that vBET was vB4 compatible. It's all over the "vBulletin 4.0 Add-ons" NO INDICATION that vBET 3 is not compatible with vB4 and I just sent you my $90.

Now I know why it didn't work after installing it on vB4 :( :(

That to me sir, is false advertising************

I'd like a quick response or please send my money back. :(

Matt Olieman
mycockpit.org

vBET
11-01-10, 20:43
how much time it may take for vb4 compatible version to come online ?

March. Right now free version is already compatible :)

vBET
11-01-10, 20:47
WHAT?????? It's not vB4 compatible?

I went on the presumption at vbulletin.org that vBET was vB4 compatible. It's all over the "vBulletin 4.0 Add-ons" NO INDICATION that vBET 3 is not compatible with vB4 and I just sent you my $90.

Now I know why it didn't work after installing it on vB4 :( :(

That to me sir, is false advertising************

I'd like a quick response or please send my money back. :(

Matt Olieman
mycockpit.org

There is no place on our site or forum that vBET 3.x is compatible with vB4 and there are lot of laces where it is written that it is not. Even on vbulletin.org are comments for people writing that cannot wait till paid version will be compatible. There was no any advertising telling that vBET 3.x is compatible with vB4. If you think differently - please show us what you are writing about we will correct it to avoid future confusions.

Release of vBET 4.0, which will be compatible with vB4 is planned for March.

Matt Olieman
11-01-10, 21:59
There is no place on our site or forum that vBET 3.x is compatible with vB4 and there are lot of laces where it is written that it is not. Even on vbulletin.org are comments for people writing that cannot wait till paid version will be compatible. There was no any advertising telling that vBET 3.x is compatible with vB4. If you think differently - please show us what you are writing about we will correct it to avoid future confusions.

Release of vBET 4.0, which will be compatible with vB4 is planned for March.

I'm angry because I spent money and my time on something I can not use. My decision was based on your display on vB.org. That's not saying what you have to offer for 3.8 isn't fantastic, because I think it is.

You show me where it says in your write up (initial presentation at vB.org) that it's not compatible******!! with vB4. then I'll apologize and shut-up.

Matt Olieman
Untitled Document (http://www.mycockpit.org)

tavenger5
11-01-10, 23:01
calm down dude - there's 3 different versions of the software - it clearly states what version each one is for on vb.org. The premium version 3.x, which is only available on here and not on vb.org, is not out yet for vb4, as the author previously stated. I'm sure he'll give you a refund if you just ask.

Matt Olieman
11-01-10, 23:19
calm down dude - there's 3 different versions of the software - it clearly states what version each one is for on vb.org. The premium version 3.x, which is only available on here and not on vb.org, is not out yet for vb4, as the author previously stated. I'm sure he'll give you a refund if you just ask.

I thought I did ask for that.... I'm calm :)

Matt Olieman
mycockpit.org

vBET
12-01-10, 02:52
I'm angry because I spent money and my time on something I can not use. My decision was based on your display on vB.org. That's not saying what you have to offer for 3.8 isn't fantastic, because I think it is.

You show me where it says in your write up (initial presentation at vB.org) that it's not compatible******!! with vB4. then I'll apologize and shut-up.

Matt Olieman
Untitled Document (http://www.mycockpit.org)

I understand you are angry - you paid for something what you are not able to use immediately. Many people would be angry for a while in such situation.

We just add this information on free version page to avoid such confusions in the future. It was never our intention to made anyone confused and we are very sorry that it happens. We only want to give free gift for everyone who like to use it.

As I wrote - paid version will be compatible with vB4 and it is already in our schedule. You can remind us about this issue after vBET 4.0 release (for vB4) and we will change date of your license start, so you will not lose any day of your year of free access to new releases.

Is this solution is OK for you?

Matt Olieman
12-01-10, 02:59
I understand you are angry - you paid for something what you are not able to use immediately. Many people would be angry for a while in such situation.

We just add this information on free version page to avoid such confusions in the future. It was never our intention to made anyone confused and we are very sorry that it happens. We only want to give free gift for everyone who like to use it.

As I wrote - paid version will be compatible with vB4 and it is already in our schedule. You can remind us about this issue after vBET 4.0 release (for vB4) and we will change date of your license start, so you will not lose any day of your year of free access to new releases.

Is this solution is OK for you?

Thank you, I appreciate and accept your offer.

My apologies for being abrupt. I think you've got a wonderful product and I look forward to put it in action once vB4 compatible version is available.

My sincere thanks and best wishes,
Matt Olieman
mycockpit.org

vBET
12-01-10, 03:00
I thought I did ask for that.... I'm calm :)

Matt Olieman
mycockpit.org

Sorry - I did not understood that. I thought that you want quick response or refund.

I'd like a quick response or please send my money back.

Please see previous post with proposition of solution for this issue and clear your statement about the situation.
We are happy to make our clients happy and our intention is to make them happy :)

EDIT:
just saw that you already answered :) I'm glad that we meet win-win situation! And I hope that you will feel like a winner having vBET on your forum :)
Before vBET 4.0 will be released you can use vBET 2.4 - your pages wil be already indexed, and after release you will made update having better performance and giving your users possibility of writing posts in different languages.

krisp
13-01-10, 17:54
Just to make sure:

At the moment I have momentarily disabled cache clearing because my server almost go down when updating the cache at "Normal deletion". So after updating the mod in a few days, I can just set it to "Normal deletion" and everything will run smoothly?

vBET
13-01-10, 22:51
Just to make sure:

At the moment I have momentarily disabled cache clearing because my server almost go down when updating the cache at "Normal deletion". So after updating the mod in a few days, I can just set it to "Normal deletion" and everything will run smoothly?

You can use cache clearing right now - there are other strategies made specially for such cases.

Also in vBET 3.3.0 cache is changed - there is separate table for each language, so indexes will be 52 times smaller and deletion will be much faster.

We are not able to tell does it will be fast enough on your forum to use normal deletion - it depends on how many rows you will have in tables. MySQL rebuilds indexes when data are deleted. And this is the reason of taking time - vBET can only provide you other ways to delete data (and it provides strategies for this). The rest is in MySQL hands.

Please just check it and if there still will be issue then it means that MySQL will not be able to handle removing 1/15 of your cached translation in normal way. In such case just check other strategies.

We can consider to add additional strategy if it will be necessary - fast deletion without rebuild of indexes. Right now 2 strategies are using fast deletion and after that rebuild indexes - this is of course the most time consuming part. We can add strategy where will be made fast deletion without index rebuild - this will made your indexes grow, so rebuild will be necessary from time to time, but you will be able to do it manually in best time for your server (some conservation time).

There is no other way we can do (it means we do not see other solutions right now ;)) - as I wrote it is MySQL which made clearing.

krisp
13-01-10, 23:06
You can use cache clearing right now - there are other strategies made specially for such cases.

Also in vBET 3.3.0 cache is changed - there is separate table for each language, so indexes will be 52 times smaller and deletion will be much faster.

We are not able to tell does it will be fast enough on your forum to use normal deletion - it depends on how many rows you will have in tables. MySQL rebuilds indexes when data are deleted. And this is the reason of taking time - vBET can only provide you other ways to delete data (and it provides strategies for this). The rest is in MySQL hands.

Please just check it and if there still will be issue then it means that MySQL will not be able to handle removing 1/15 of your cached translation in normal way. In such case just check other strategies.

We can consider to add additional strategy if it will be necessary - fast deletion without rebuild of indexes. Right now 2 strategies are using fast deletion and after that rebuild indexes - this is of course the most time consuming part. We can add strategy where will be made fast deletion without index rebuild - this will made your indexes grow, so rebuild will be necessary from time to time, but you will be able to do it manually in best time for your server (some conservation time).

There is no other way we can do (it means we do not see other solutions right now ;)) - as I wrote it is MySQL which made clearing.

Presently the short and medium caches has around 3 million rows each for 12 languages. I think everything went fine until I reached around 600.000 in each. So you are saying tables will now be 3m/12 = 300.000 per new table for each language? Does this calculation make sense? I guess the same amount of work will be have to be done from now on, but then in a "serial" manner working on each table at a time instead of one big table ... Perhaps if there where a timelap of a few minutes between each table update it would be better?

Also I presume when installig the new mod it will have to delete the present big tables and rebuild new tables from scratch during install, right? (trying to breakup the big tables into smaller during install would be too server intensive)

vBET
13-01-10, 23:21
Presently the short and medium caches has around 3 million rows each for 12 languages. I think everything went fine until I reached around 600.000 in each. So you are saying tables will now be 3m/12 = 300.000 per new table for each language? Does this calculation make sense? I guess the same amount of work will be have to be done, but then in a "serial" manner working on each table at a time instead of one big table ... Perhaps if there where a timelap of a few minutes between each table update it would be better?

Also I presume when installig the new mod it will have to delete the present big tables and rebuild new tables from scratch during install, right?

Your calculations are correct at this moment. But remember that right now you have disabled clearing, so you have more data there that usually you will have with clearing on.

You have good point about those timelaps - it is good idea - I added it in TODO list, but cannot guarantee that we will include it in 3.3.0 It is scheduled for Sunday. If not we will include it in next release after that :)

Also I do not think that it will be same time to rebuild one big index and 12 smaller having in sum same amount of rows. It depends of complexity of algorithm (it would be same if it is linear). For example it is much easier to sort 12 list having 2 rows than 1 list having 24 rows... Of course honestly - I have no idea what is exact MySQL algorithm in such case, but as you already noticed having smallest tables gives us opportunity to separate smaller tasks with timelaps what will made whole better for server :)

And yes - vBET will automatically remove old cache tables during update.

krisp
13-01-10, 23:56
That sounds very good :) I think any forum that has a server that is strong enough to handle the untranslated forum should indeed be able to handle normal updating of cache of at least one language with no problems. So given a few minutes between each language table update to empty the que of queries from users and indexbots, I think this solution would work for all forums once and for all and even with a big margin. I am hoping you manage to squeeze it in in this update ;)

To be honest I dont mind waiting some days extra for this to be implemented, and I dont think the other members would mind ... it might not be a problem ... but its better wait some extra days to be on the safe side :)

vBET
14-01-10, 00:23
Relax - we will implement this for sure :) If not in 3.3.0 then in 3.4.0 - consider it done! :D

krisp
14-01-10, 00:36
Ok I'll try to relax ... :p :D

vBET
14-01-10, 01:09
Don't try - just do it :p:D

brubros
15-01-10, 18:23
Since I am committed to the vB 4 platform already, I of course wished that the features and capabilities of 3.3.0 and 3.4.0 already incorporated vB 4 compatibility. But appreciate the attention you are giving your current customer base. Just please don't let the vBET 4.0.0 release date slip too much beyond the end of February...

vBET
17-01-10, 13:34
We already decided that we will start working on vBET 4.0 just after vBET 3.3.0.

Many people ask about it, so we will give it as fast as we can :)

vBET
17-01-10, 14:17
Perhaps if there where a timelap of a few minutes between each table update it would be better?

Timelap added in vBET 3.3.0 as BETA functionality (not tested with big amount of data).

Smiggy
24-02-10, 01:29
vBET, when will 3.4.0 be released?

vBET
24-02-10, 03:02
vBET, when will 3.4.0 be released?

After next 2 releases of vBET 4.x (we need to add there support for blog, cms, vBSEO and sitemap generator) we will implement new things in booth lines vBET 3.x and vBET 4.x
We estimate that it will be needed 1 month for those vBET 4.x things, but having actual experience with vB 4 it is really safe to say 2 months. It is because of lot of changes which happens in each vB 4 version and can affects our mod (i.e. changes between vB 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 cost as several days).

Implementing new things for 3.4.0 will take something between 1-1,5 month. So being optimistic 3.4.0 can appear in 2 months, but being more realistic it can be 3-4 months.

Hope it is acceptable for you :) As we declared - booth lines vBET 3.x and 4.x will be supported. We realize that it is more time between 3.x releases than before, but it is for this one time and when 4.x will be stable booth lines will be threated equally and new functionalities will appear in booth lines (as long as those will not base on vB 4 specific features).

So be calm :) Your vBET line will bring you new toys :)

Smiggy
24-02-10, 20:31
What about maintenance releases for the 3.x series to clear up reported bugs?

vBET
24-02-10, 22:16
What about maintenance releases for the 3.x series to clear up reported bugs?

At this moment there are only minor issues. If anything major or critical will appear we will of course made maintenance release ASAP :) Sorry I didn't mention it before - I assumed that it was obvious (also we was talking about new functionalities there). My mistake :)

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChineseCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishTaiwaneseThaiTurkishUkrainianVietnameseWelshYiddish
Translated to other languages supported by vBET Translator 4.10.1