PDA

View Full Version : Solved Google continues to index translated pages after uninstall

Wulf
13-02-12, 19:43
I uninstalled vBET many months ago and Google is still trying to index the pages.

I was reading this thread http://www.vbenterprisetranslator.com/forum/vbet4-troubleshooting/2489-uninstall-results-2.html but adding these 2 rules to my .htaccess file that doesn't seem to be working.

RewriteRule ^/?(af|sq|ar|hy|az|eu|be|bg|ca|zh-CN|hr|cs|da|nl|en|et|tl|fi|fr|gl|ka|de|el|ht|iw|hi|hu|is|id|ga|it|ja|ko|lv|lt|mk|ms|mt|no|fa|pl|pt|ro|ru|sr|sk|sl|es|sw|sv|zh-TW|th|tr|uk|ur|vi|cy|yi)/$ / [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^/?(af|sq|ar|hy|az|eu|be|bg|ca|zh-CN|hr|cs|da|nl|en|et|tl|fi|fr|gl|ka|de|el|ht|iw|hi|hu|is|id|ga|it|ja|ko|lv|lt|mk|ms|mt|no|fa|pl|pt|ro|ru|sr|sk|sl|es|sw|sv|zh-TW|th|tr|uk|ur|vi|cy|yi)/(.*)?$ /$2 [L,QSA]

Additionally, it seems better to tell Google those pages are not there anymore instead of redirecting. I was reading this post on Webmasterworld and a response code 410 HTTP_GONE seems like the way to go.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/29823.htm

What would I need to add to my htaccess file to accomplish this? Would I need a robots.txt file as well?

r.dziadusz
14-02-12, 23:08
Could you please show me your whole .htaccess file?

Wulf
15-02-12, 04:41
I found the problem. [L,QSA] should be [L,R=301]

I am also going to add a robots.txt file for disallowing all those directories being indexed by search engines. I am copying it here in case anyone else needs it. This the correct way of handling this, right?

User-agent: *
Allow: /
Disallow: /zh-TW/
Disallow: /cs/
Disallow: /fi/
Disallow: /et/
Disallow: /ru/
Disallow: /hu/
Disallow: /ca/
Disallow: /sl/
Disallow: /tl/
Disallow: /de/
Disallow: /it/
Disallow: /hy/
Disallow: /ms/
Disallow: /mk/
Disallow: /yi/
Disallow: /ar/
Disallow: /lv/
Disallow: /th/
Disallow: /eu/
Disallow: /ja/
Disallow: /ur/
Disallow: /ht/
Disallow: /pl/
Disallow: /af/
Disallow: /hi/
Disallow: /gl/
Disallow: /bg/
Disallow: /nl/
Disallow: /el/
Disallow: /vi/
Disallow: /ka/
Disallow: /ro/
Disallow: /sk/
Disallow: /zh-CN/
Disallow: /sr/
Disallow: /en/
Disallow: /az/
Disallow: /id/
Disallow: /iw/
Disallow: /hr/
Disallow: /cy/
Disallow: /tr/
Disallow: /sw/
Disallow: /pt/
Disallow: /fr/
Disallow: /sq/
Disallow: /ga/
Disallow: /fa/
Disallow: /no/
Disallow: /be/
Disallow: /es/
Disallow: /lt/
Disallow: /uk/
Disallow: /ko/
Disallow: /da/
Disallow: /sv/
Disallow: /mt/
Disallow: /is/

r.dziadusz
15-02-12, 20:40
Yes it look fine for your forum. Have you got any further question about this issue?

Wulf
15-02-12, 21:11
Thanks for the assistance, this can be closed.

raymond
05-05-12, 05:21
That is a good suggestion wulf.
Since the pages are no longer there, we should prevent the bots from visiting that page.
Still, a 301 permanent redirect is needed so that people visiting old links will be brought to the new link instead.

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChineseCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishTaiwaneseThaiTurkishUkrainianVietnameseWelshYiddish
Translated to other languages thanks to vB Enterprise Translator 4.10.1