PDA

View Full Version : Accepted If API returns no results, return provider error code instead of null

brubros
06-10-11, 19:49
It would be nice (and save vBET a lot of trouble) if an API call does not return a translated result that at least the provider error code is provided so it is clear that vBET has done its job and the problem rests with the provider. A stand-alone utility will be nice, but having the same results provided directly at time of attempted translation would be better.

vBET
06-10-11, 21:18
I understand you would like to see provider error instead of not translated text when translation is not available. Please note that crawlers will see it too. So in such case we should send header which tells that error happen, to avoid indexing page with error message. Also if such page will have only error it will not be good for end users. Please note that sometimes the thread content itself is already cached, just changes something around (in example hour is displayed on forum, or you have some boxes on right/left side) or just new response happened - so we are able to show translated thread I think it is better than just show error message when 99% of page can be displayed as translated.

I do not understand your last sentence. Please describe more.

vBET
06-10-11, 21:41
Possible solution - we already have special parameter which shows only for admins how long server wait for translations form external provider. We can use the same parameter to show which providers are marked as disabled (you can check it yourself in Admin CP) and which was used to translate. Anyway it is only available only for administrators and admins can check it without message on output (Admin CP -> vBET -> Translations Providers Availability)

brubros
07-10-11, 18:48
I do not understand your last sentence. Please describe more.
I was referring to googletest.php that is described in one of your FAQ. It is a good admin tool but does not alert regular users that a potential problem exists.

Yes, good thinking regarding indexing concerns. The on-screen reporting of this error on a page should be a feature that an admin can turn on or off globally, I think.

Agree -> "so we are able to show translated thread I think it is better than just show error message when 99% of page can be displayed as translated."

brubros
07-10-11, 18:57
Yes, that would be helpful. I had a problem seeing the server translation time display, however, because the screen flashes by so quickly so it might be good to insert a 'press any key to continue' or something similar.

Also...something VERY strange just happened. I turned on the 'display speed' option just now again and now I can see the full text of all my CMS articles again. I have a lot more testing to do, and this may have to do with my browser cache or the fact that I am logged in as admin. I don't know yet. But I wanted to bring this to your attention.

UPDATE - No, some linked CMS pages from the home page still do not display.

UPDATE 2 - The behavior between being logged in as admin and not logged is different. Articles that can be viewed fully translated (or even just in the source language) display for the admin when the same page will not display for a guest. I hope this helps.

brubros
07-10-11, 19:15
Yes, that would be helpful. I had a problem seeing the server translation time display, however, because the screen flashes by so quickly so it might be good to insert a 'press any key to continue' or something similar.

vBET
08-10-11, 12:02
Please describe your issues in separate thread this place is for future request. Please do not mix discussions or we will be lost.

At this moment I understand that we can add information about which providers are available if option to show translation time is available.

For your issues please open new thread for each issue.

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChineseCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishTaiwaneseThaiTurkishUkrainianVietnameseWelshYiddish
Translated to other languages thanks to vBET Translator 4.10.1