PDA

View Full Version : Solved Translations stopped working.

samm1129
24-09-11, 02:08
Hi. I have upgraded my forum to 4.15 a month ago, everything was working, including translations, however this week translations stopped working, when trying to translate, page shows up, without any characters.
I have not made any changes, it just stopped working for no apparent reason. Please advice.

url: rabroad.com

samm1129
24-09-11, 02:09
i went ahead and checked with google to make sure domain is not banned.

rabroad.com/google2.php

r.dziadusz
24-09-11, 07:35
Hi,
Please check once again your vBet configuration, please pay attention on your default forum language, if it is set

samm1129
24-09-11, 21:23
i went through everything over and over. Nothing is helping.

samm1129
24-09-11, 21:39
got it working again by disabling memcached

r.dziadusz
25-09-11, 17:21
While using memory cache have you been using also guest cache? If no, try to turn both of them on

Wulf
29-09-11, 20:19
I am having the same problem but don't have memcache turned on. Pages in other languages just turn up blank.

samm1129
30-09-11, 02:28
my problem came back. Looks like this software might become absolete, if admin will not come up with the solution soon.

samm1129
30-09-11, 02:29
Google changed settings. That really sucks as i bought 2 copies of translator and now unable to use them.

r.dziadusz
30-09-11, 09:36
What API are you using? Is there problem with all of them, also we encourage you to upgrade your vbet to last version

samm1129
30-09-11, 13:47
it is the last version. tried both API's. google v1, v2, ms. Nothing is working now.

Wulf
30-09-11, 14:32
I installed the latest version 4.4.2. I have these settings:

Use Google API v2 - No
Use Google only - No
Entered the Application ID as provided by Microsoft

Currently, visitors are finding pages without text in languages other than my main forum language. It's not all pages and languages as some still have translations but it is most of them. Example of main CMS page: http://saabworld.net/de/content/

I'll need to decide soon to take VBET down if there is not going to be a fix for this problem. I understand you guys can't help the current situation with the free Google translations going to a paid version but hopefully you find a way to make the VBET work again like it was.

samm1129
30-09-11, 15:10
Google is giving:

Starting translation test
Test result: {"responseData": null, "responseDetails": "Suspected Terms of Service Abuse. Please see http://code.google.com/apis/errors", "responseStatus": 403}
Test error:

used this to test MS:

<?php
require_once('./global.php');
echo "Starting translation test<br/>\n";
$connection = curl_init();
curl_setopt($connection, CURLOPT_URL, 'http://api.microsofttranslator.com/V2/Ajax.svc/Translate?appId='.$vbulletin->options['vbenterprisetranslator_microsoftappid'].'fake&from=pl&to=en&options={%22ContentType%22:%22text/html%22}&text=witaj');
curl_setopt($connection, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)');
//curl_setopt($connection, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, 1);
curl_setopt($connection, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
$time = microtime(true) * 1000;
$result = curl_exec($connection);
$time = microtime(true) * 1000 - $time;
echo 'Test result: '.$result."<br/>\n";
echo 'Test error: '.curl_error($connection)."<br/>\n";
curl_close($connection);
echo 'Connection time (ms): '.$time;
?>

got this message:

Test result: "InvalidOperationException: : ID=3643.V2_Json.Translate.35944BF8"
Test error:
Connection time (ms): 61.6999511719

Wulf
30-09-11, 15:46
My Google test seems fine:

Test result: {"responseData": {"translatedText":"powitanie"}, "responseDetails": null, "responseStatus": 200}
Test error:
Connection time (ms): 628.73828125

samm1129
30-09-11, 23:55
Admins... can you help with this issue as your product became unusable and if there is no resolution, i'd like my money back.

r.dziadusz
01-10-11, 09:47
samm1129: You are blocked by google due to to many request per second, also you reach your limits in microsoft, please make sure that your all your cache is enabled, if you wont be use google api v1(becouse of terms of use) you could increase cache ttl, ale read this faq, about hints: http://www.vbenterprisetranslator.com/forum/vbet4-general-discussions/408-vbet-performance.html, and pay attention on it:
1. Add to vBET ignored pages as many content as you think is not important for translations
2. Use free translation services first
3. To avoid reaching free translations limit too fast - limit supported languages. Add new ones from time to time when your cache is full.
4. Even if you are using paid translations - limit supported languages to those which you think are most important for your forum. And even then limit it more - after time you can add more languages if you find that costs are OK for you.
5. If you are not using Google Translation API v1 - do not clear your database cache and disable automatic cleaning, or at least change cache time to live to much longer (avoid paying for same translations)
6. Avoid translation of SPAM, by verifying posts until those are published.

One more thing you can use this setting, to reduce your request:

admincp -> vbet -> translation options -> Delay between translations

samm1129
02-10-11, 02:38
samm1129: You are blocked by google due to to many request per second, also you reach your limits in microsoft, please make sure that your all your cache is enabled, if you wont be use google api v1(becouse of terms of use) you could increase cache ttl, ale read this faq, about hints: http://www.vbenterprisetranslator.com/forum/vbet4-general-discussions/408-vbet-performance.html, and pay attention on it:

1. Add to vBET ignored pages as many content as you think is not important for translations
Hi, up until recently i didn't have to limit translations at all.

All pages are important... I really dont understand your statement there...

2. Use free translation services first

I have been using free services, and got banned by google and ms.

3. To avoid reaching free translations limit too fast - limit supported languages. Add new ones from time to time when your cache is full.

I purchased the software because you advertise "Automatic translations to 52 languages" if I limit supported languages, what is the point of having the software?

4. Even if you are using paid translations - limit supported languages to those which you think are most important for your forum. And even then limit it more - after time you can add more languages if you find that costs are OK for you.

I wasn't really planning on using paid services. Just tried to ensure it's not something on my end.

5. If you are not using Google Translation API v1 - do not clear your database cache and disable automatic cleaning, or at least change cache time to live to much longer (avoid paying for same translations)

Whenever I am using cache, my DB is growing to unmanageble size and crashes. That happened on several occations and that was the reason i disabled cache. My forum has close to 4million posts so you can imagine how big cache would get.

6. Avoid translation of SPAM, by verifying posts until those are published.

I have anti spam systems installed,therefore I have no spam on the boad.

One more thing you can use this setting, to reduce your request:

I have already set that to 100 - doesnt help.

harleyforum.se
02-10-11, 16:39
I installed the latest version 4.4.2. I have these settings:

Use Google API v2 - No
Use Google only - No
Entered the Application ID as provided by Microsoft

Currently, visitors are finding pages without text in languages other than my main forum language. It's not all pages and languages as some still have translations but it is most of them. Example of main CMS page: http: // saabworld.net/de/content/

I'll need to decide soon to take VBET down if there is not going to be a fix for this problem. I understand you guys can't help the current situation with the free Google translations going to a paid version but hopefully you find a way to make the VBET work again like it was.

Yep. same issue here. :(

PLEASE notice it all started at the end of september! Everybody has the same problem from that date. v 4.xxx or v 2.xxx

samm1129
02-10-11, 18:39
Admins: I have uninstalled the product as it's not working. This is the official request for refund.

vBET
03-10-11, 12:41
Hi.

Your case was supported by Radek, but because you PM me directly I'm answering. Please note that you are blocked by Google v1. In your 2nd post you wrote that you used Google test. I checked the address (rabroad.com/google2.php) and this is your result:

Test result: {"responseData": null, "responseDetails": "Suspected Terms of Service Abuse. Please see http://code.google.com/apis/errors", "responseStatus": 403}
Test error:
So solution is not on our side but on your side and you already got URL address where to go for details. You will find there form to contact with Google and find out why you was blocked. Also please note that Google v1 is preparing to be closed so they put more restrictions on API usage. Newest version of vBET allows you to use Google v2 and Microsoft Translation API. And in case of troubles we also provide you tests for those APIs - please see here for details: http://www.vbenterprisetranslator.com/forum/vbet4-troubleshooting/413-faq-2.html#post1729

Also please note that in case of Google v2 and Microsoft Translation API you have to set appropriate API keys in Admin CP - otherwise those will not provide you results. Also Microsoft has internal usage limits. Google v2 also has usage limits, but you can configure it yourself - it is only to manage your expenses, since Google v2 is paid. All information about required keys you have included in vBET configuration description and available in your Admin CP.

If you want to use only free APIs then now you have Google v1 and Microsoft Translation API - booth have limits. You can configure vBET to not translate unnecessary things - you can block pages for translation. You can also disable unnecessary languages. So limits will not be reach so fast. Radek is preparing article about how to limit your translations costs where those and other hints will be included. You will find this article soon in FAQ. Radek already gave you more hints here: http://www.vbenterprisetranslator.com/forum/vbet4-troubleshooting/2407-translations-stopped-working-2.html#post10351
Answering your notes about the hints:

Hi, up until recently i didn't have to limit translations at all.
Yes. Google didn't set limits until recently. Please complain to Google, because we cannot do anything with that. It is them who puts limits on you not us.

All pages are important... I really dont understand your statement there...
You can consider some not important 0 it is up to you. Example of some pages which can be considered not important for translation by some forum owners: member pages, calendar, photo galleries. It is really up to you - what you think you must have translated what not.

I have been using free services, and got banned by google and ms.
Microsoft limits are time based, so in next interval you should be able to translate until you reach limit again - and so on. In case of Google you have form Google instructions what to do - please fallow those.

I purchased the software because you advertise "Automatic translations to 52 languages" if I limit supported languages, what is the point of having the software?
It is hint. You can use it or not. Of course you can just simply use Google v2, pay for translations and do not care about any limits. I think you misunderstood what for those hints are. If you want you can use all supported languages. The hints are about how to not reach limits to fast in free translations APIs. And question what the point- many our users asked opposite question what is the point of having 53 languages when about 8 gives most incomes and traffic. We just provide support for 53 languages translation using external translation providers. It is up to our users to determine how many languages they want to support. So you have to answer this question yourself, because everyone has different opinion about it :) I saw our user page where was turned only 4 languages for example (and it was when Google didn't even plan limits or paid API)

I wasn't really planning on using paid services. Just tried to ensure it's not something on my end.
At least until March 2012 you do not have to. After that Microsoft will be also paid. We hope that until this time we will have also other choices :) For us it is also big inconvenience that translation providers made their API paid.

Whenever I am using cache, my DB is growing to unmanageble size and crashes. That happened on several occations and that was the reason i disabled cache. My forum has close to 4million posts so you can imagine how big cache would get.
Please note that database crashes are on MySQL level so you can ask for help there. Still vBET is prepared for large caches - we have different cache clearing strategies. Also if you are not using Google v1 you can disable cache clearing (Microsoft and Google v2 allows to cache forewer). Using vBET without cache is mostly unadvised.

I have already set that to 100 - doesnt help.
It helps to avoid to many requests per second. Still you reach other limit - too many characters per day. Without cache you will have the issue all the time. When you have cache full, then only new messages are translated and then it is not so easy to reach the limits. Microsoft has limit 4 million characters per month (Microsoft answer about this was given about month ago).

You issue with Microsoft API is because you already reach their limits - see issue description and solution description here: http://www.vbenterprisetranslator.com/forum/troubleshooting/2425-major-translation-issues-4.html#post10396

Please note that vBET is completely stable here - it still does same thing - asks for translations to external providers and provides the results. It's provider who blocked you - vBET presents what it got - no result. And vBET takes not responsibility at all for this - it is up to vBET user to assure his sewer is able to use external translations. This is our license agreement - this is what you agree:

BET is using EXTERNAL translation services (translation APIs). Since version 4.4.0 and 3.5.0 vBET is able to use many translation APIs (actually supported: Google and Microsoft Translation API). You must be allowed to use supported translation APIs which you configure to be used by vBET. SIMPLE Podbielski Michał gives you no refunds in case if your forum is blocked/banned or limited in any other way to any of used Translation Services, even in case if some/all supported translation services will be closed. If you want, you can check on our vBET 2.x free version, does Google Translation Service is accessible for your forum before purchase of vBET 3.x/4.x, but you still will have no right to any refund if your forum access to any Translation Services will be limited in any way during usage of vBET 3.x/4.x. SIMPLE Podbieski Michał is not responsible in any way for any of used Translation Services results or it's performance and accessibility.
For full license agreement please see here: vBulletin Enterprise Translator Plugin (vBET) - License Agreement (http://www.vbenterprisetranslator.com/license.php)
We do not take responsibility and we simply cannot take responsibility for translation providers actions since those are 3rd parties. Just like you do not want to take responsibility for someone else who rob a bank ;) We are open to add new translation APIs - if you have suggestions please write :)

Anyway - there is no basis for any refund. It is up to you to assure your server can use translations providers. And you agree for this. Also uninstall of product is not a base for refund - it is up to you do you want to use vBET or not. Your license is like your jumper - you decide what you want to do with it. Use it or put to closet. We do not give refund because after half year of using it, you decided to not use vBET anymore. It is your license and your choice what you are doing with it.

If you think vBET has any bug - please open new thread in Bug Report section and we will check it. Still bug also is not base for refund - bugs are normal thing in software lifecycle and you also agree that such things can happen.

So your request for refund has no basis and it is denied. Really sorry for your issues, but those are on side of your vBET configuration and 3rd parties and we cannot be responsible for that - what is also part of our agreement. So please respect our license agreement.

Please tell do you need more help in this area? If vBET is already uninstalled I assume that the issue do not exists anymore. Is it right?

Wulf, harleyforum.se - generally use hints included here. Please use Microsoft test to check what is going on - you already have explanation about potential issue in this post. Also please note that we are right now during investigation about other translations API. Right now it is easy to add in vBET support for additional translation APIs.

Wulf - I saw your Google test - it is for translation English to Polish. REMEMBER that you allow for other translation APIs to be sued and in such case Microsoft Translation API is used whenever it is supported (you can configure it for each language pair - please read description of parameter Use Google Only). So you can have Google OK and no translations when you ask for those to Microsoft.

samm1129
03-10-11, 13:35
Ok. Forget about refund, you might be right about the fact that I indeed got to use the software for 3 months before it stopped working.
I have noticed a neat little thing though since I uninstalled it, my traffic jumped by 30% minutes after uninstall. That has to be related to the software. You might want to look into that for your future releases. I have been monitoring the site since and every hour, by the hour traffic stays 30% more then when software was running.

Just an FYI.

vBET
03-10-11, 14:34
We see no relationship between those 2. Especially that there wasn't even 24 hours since you removed vBET. So it is not related. Traffic is not linear and you have just some temporary traffic jump.
Search engines will notify in it's indexes, that you removed vBET in about 3 months. Even robots most probably didn't noticed it and still try to crawl translated pages (you can help them and set appropriate entries in robots.txt). So thanks for your info, but there is nothing to look - just coincidence. Anyway thanks for info :)

gopalmm2
16-10-11, 15:11
Rest assured samm1129 - my forum's traffic has greatly increased thanks to vbet. vbet has definitely helped in pulling more international members to my forum and has helped a large number of them by allowing them to view pages in their own language. Translation isn't perfect but it is enough for us to understand each other and that was what I was looking for. It's an excellent add-on to a forum.

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChineseCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishTaiwaneseThaiTurkishUkrainianVietnameseWelshYiddish
Translations supported by vBET 4.10.1