PDA

View Full Version : vBET 4.4.2 Released

vBET
01-09-11, 21:42
Hi :)

I know we planned to release first vBET3.x but Google already gave new Translation API v2 (paid one) so we had to adopt our plans to actual situation. vBET 3.x will have those changes in next release :)

So this release adds support for Google Translation API v2. At this moment it supports 3 translation API:

Google Translation API v1 (available only until December 1st 2011)
Google Translation API v2 (paid one)
Microsoft Translation API (free)

Right now if you want to use paid Google API then you must turn on Google Translation API v2 manually right now (Admin CP->vBET->Translation Providers->Use Google API v2. After December 1st we will remove this option, since there will be no choice anymore.

Since this release for new installations default vBET configuration uses only free languages - so those supported by Microsoft Translation API. Also by default cache time to live is 90 days (since Google Translation API v1 is not used by default we do not have 15 days cache limit – still in parameter description there is not about this limitation for Google Translation API v1 users). Also new option is available for cache cleaning - you can tell which tables should be cleaned. Thanks that is you want to have free and paid translations, you can have cleaned cache for free translations and keep it up to date with growing quality. In same time you will not remove translations which you paid for, so you will not have to paid over and over again for same translation :) This is also default vBET configuration - so only tables for Microsoft translations are cleaned now. If you still use Google Translation API v1 please turn on cleaning for rest of languages to respect Google Terms Of Service (15 days caching limit).

Please note that new default values for old parameters have no impact on forums during update (you will have your old value). Still for new parameters (like which tables should be cleaned) you will have our default values, because you had no previous value there.

So in short words: this release is prepared to give you free translations and allows by changing configuration to support all 53 languages.

New:

Support for Google Translation API v2
Configuration for cache cleaning (which languages should be cleaned)

Changes:

Default vBET configuration prepared for free translations

Bugs Corrected:

Comments for CMS articles (http://www.vbenterprisetranslator.com/forum/vbet4-bug-reporting/2299-can-not-post-comments-cms-articles.html)

Snake
01-09-11, 21:54
Great! If i upgrad from vb3 to vb4 to use vbet4 will my cache have to start again?

vBET
02-09-11, 09:12
Great! If i upgrad from vb3 to vb4 to use vbet4 will my cache have to start again?

No - cache will stay as it is. Just made update - do not reinstall (do not uninstall and install again - during uninstall all cache tables are dropped). Please note that vBET3.x will also support Microsoft Translation API and Google Translation API v2 - this is our main priority right now :) So you do not have to update whole vBulletin and all your plugins just for that.

Still if you have license for vBulletin 4.x I personally think that it is quite good engine and it is worth to update (just be ready for issues ;)), but don't do this just for vBET new translations - we will give it to you in next vBET3.x release.

winsome
02-09-11, 11:08
and how to set up a forum on vBulletin 3.8.7 Prompt ??((( (free version)

r.dziadusz
02-09-11, 13:20
Hi,
Please read about vBulletin 3.x from here vB3 General Discussions - vBulletin.org Forum (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111), and if you want to ask about free version of our product vBet for vBulletin 3.x, please open new thread in Free Version vBET2.3.x (http://www.vbenterprisetranslator.com/forum/free-version-vbet2-3-x/)

Taurus
04-09-11, 10:29
Where can I get info on the paid service by google? How much it will cost, and how to set it up through them? Thanks.

Simon Lloyd
04-09-11, 18:21
Where can I get info on the paid service by google? How much it will cost, and how to set it up through them? Thanks.Take a look here Paid version of Google Translate API now open for business - Google Translate Blog (http://googletranslate.blogspot.com/2011/08/paid-version-of-google-translate-api.html) it can work out very expensive for forums, they're going to charge $0.05 per 500 words!

I just took an average thread of 9 posts, including all the postbit text there were 3,456 words which equates to $1.76!, so translation is going to cost an absolute fortune!

Is the free API going completely? is there an alternative like AltaVista's bablefish?

Simon Lloyd
04-09-11, 18:30
Please bear in mind the cost i gave above is just for one translation.

vBET
04-09-11, 19:15
Take a look here Paid version of Google Translate API now open for business - Google Translate Blog (http://googletranslate.blogspot.com/2011/08/paid-version-of-google-translate-api.html) it can work out very expensive for forums, they're going to charge $0.05 per 500 words!

I just took an average thread of 9 posts, including all the postbit text there were 3,456 words which equates to $1.76!, so translation is going to cost an absolute fortune!

Is the free API going completely? is there an alternative like AltaVista's bablefish?

Here is detailed pricing for Google Translation API v2: Pricing and Terms of Service - Google Translate API v2 - Google Code (http://code.google.com/apis/language/translate/v2/pricing.html)
It is $20.00 per 1 000 000 characters. It is count in characters not in words.

Also there is no time limit for caching Google Translation API v2 results. So you do not have to paid over and over again for same translation. So your calculations miss one thing - that after translation of 1st thread, vBET already have cached sentences for static GUI elements. Also according to your result you had in one thread 9 posts with summary amount of characters 17 600 - this makes average almost 2 000 characters per post. This is not common example. Many posts have less than 60 characters (just like your previous post). For example this very answer has less than 1300 characters, and it is long response like for many forums. Of course there is no any rule, but I think that you scare yourself to death by using only one example, which is not too common for many forums.

Anyway - pricing like pricing - it is up to Google how they want to sell their services and up to users will they use those services or not.

Responding to question about free alternative - Yes - vBET4.x already supports completely free Microsoft Translation API - it doesn't supports so many languages as Google, but it is still 35 languages. So vBET customers can enjoy free translations even after Google translation API v1 will be closed. At least as long Microsoft Translation API is free, but here we are also prepared to evolve - vBET now makes it easy to add new translation API.

Simon Lloyd
04-09-11, 20:18
Micheal, thanks for the detailed response, i understand what you are trying to say but unfortunately the example i gave is very common in my forums, i have many much much longer.

I am glad that if i try Google's paid service and it works out too expensive i will still ba able to offer translations in my forums :)

Snake
16-09-11, 21:42
im running vb3 so when will new vbet support ?

vBET
16-09-11, 21:46
im running vb3 so when will new vbet support ?

I just wrote you in your thread - vBET3.x new release should be done until end of this month. We already made code changes, now we have to test it well :) So soon you will be able yo use Mistosoft translation API and Google Translation API V2 in vBET3.x :)

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChineseCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishTaiwaneseThaiTurkishUkrainianVietnameseWelshYiddish
vBET 4.10.1 brings automatic translations