PDA

View Full Version : Caches and database use

Simon Lloyd
12-10-10, 11:47
Hi, looking at my database today i notice i have many many new tables, there are 3 different types of vbet cache, normal, medium and short, why do i have 3 different types of tables? do i need all those tables?

I notice that it's taking 1.3gb of space******, i believed that the cache is cleared quite often:
Use cache = Yes
Cache Time To Live (TTL) = 5
Use Full File Cache For Guests (BETA!) = No
Cache clearing strategy (Database Cache) = Normal
Cache clearing timelap (Database Cache) = 0
Stop looking after x failures (Database Cache) = 15

All flags are enabled.

Regards,
Simon

kamilkurczak
12-10-10, 13:06
Yes, you need this tables. This is to optimize vBET.
:)

moman
26-10-10, 02:42
My cache grows to over 20Gb over the course of a week (that's my TTL at the moment), and I'm quite sure that the ratio of hits to misses is quite big :)

I would have one suggestion, however- it would be nice if there were an option to move the cache tables to an external database, so that it's easier to run a DB backup without having to clear the cache.

vBET
27-10-10, 02:15
We already have such change request :) I do not remember now is it in in consideration state or approved, but we will work on this.

Also if your server will be able to have more cache we advise to set TTL higher. It will speed up your translated page generation, because now more often translated content must be taken from Google. We know that cache can have big size - it is normal when you have big size forum and now multiply its content 52 times :)

We have cache spitted to so many tables, because it is working much faster then and clearing is safer (makes able to give server some time to rest between each table). This is all in purpose and we went to this point by experience with previous approaches. So now it is mature solution.

Also if you not suffer with lack of HD space, we advise to turn on guest cache. It will take even more space, but it will be on HD not in database and it will allow to response immediately for guests (without database queries).

moman
07-11-10, 07:45
How does the guest cache work? I'm currently using 3.3.3 with some code modifications to fix bugs, and haven't upgraded for the sake of stability. Just curious! Are entire pages cached, or do the files simply contain a dictionary of words and their translations for that page?

vBET
14-11-10, 06:03
How does the guest cache work? I'm currently using 3.3.3 with some code modifications to fix bugs, and haven't upgraded for the sake of stability. Just curious! Are entire pages cached, or do the files simply contain a dictionary of words and their translations for that page?

Entire pages cached on hard drive and streamed to browser like static HTML files (after checking does request is cached).

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChineseCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishTaiwaneseThaiTurkishUkrainianVietnameseWelshYiddish
Translations supported by vB Enterprise Translator 4.10.1