PDA

View Full Version : Users posting in different languages

Simon Lloyd
30-09-10, 20:03
Hi could you tell me, if a user posts in say Dutch after viewing the forum in Dutch when i see the post will it be in english?

Also how much more database usage or database tables are there?

Is there extra load on the server?

Is it SEO safe?

Can all translations be automatic, i.e all spanish will always see it in spanish all russian will always see it in russian**********etc?

Regards,
Simon

vBET
01-10-10, 09:33
Hi, vBET can recognize message language (configurable). So if user writes hie message in any supported language, then vBET will recognize its language (using Google) and then automatically opaque it in appropriate bbcodes.

vBET creates new cache tables, but made no changes in native vBulletin tables.

Of course there will be extra load - it is not translated magically ;) Still extra load will be only for translated pages - for normal pages vBET only ads flags.

It is SEO safe. vBET supports URL translations. So if you have vB3 and vBSEO, or vB4 (with vBSEO or using vB4 friendly URLs), then your URLs will be translated :)

Whole translation is automatic :)

Simon Lloyd
01-10-10, 14:08
Test: My name is Simon, I'm not stupid:)

Simon Lloyd
01-10-10, 14:14
I guess then im asking can this be run without the flags at the top or a language selection dropdown?
I want visitors to my site to automatically see the site in their language (assuming their browsers are set to their country's standard) with no need to click a button or anything as i don't want to have the flags or dropdown but the in post is useful, i also have a custom CODE bb thats parsed through a seperate php file using regex will this be a problem?

Simon Lloyd
01-10-10, 14:15
Test 2: My name is Simon, I'm not stupid! edit for dual language testI liked this test :)

Simon Lloyd
02-10-10, 09:09
Whilst i like the mod (well the tests ive done) i'm afraid the support response time is very poor, i posted yesterday at 2:14pm (GMT) and still no response 19 hours later!!

It doesn't give me confidence to purchase.

Simon Lloyd
02-10-10, 20:09
Come on guys 30hrs now since a response, do you want to sell this stuff or not?

Simon Lloyd
02-10-10, 22:40
I guess then im asking can this be run without the flags at the top or a language selection dropdown?
I want visitors to my site to automatically see the site in their language (assuming their browsers are set to their country's standard) with no need to click a button or anything as i don't want to have the flags or dropdown but the in post is useful, i also have a custom CODE bb thats parsed through a seperate php file using regex will this be a problem?Last time of asking then i wont bother to buy this but install a simple google developers jquery version simply to translate pages!

Please answer my querie above and the following if possible:

I have vbseo and vbseo site map is there anything extra i need to do after purchasing this mod (given that i ever get a response here) to make sure everything works?

vBET
02-10-10, 22:43
Hello. Please note that our service is not 24/7. In working days we are everyday. At weekends usually too, still it can be not so often. Also we have customers from whole the world, so sometimes response time is influenced by time difference (usually we sleep at night ;)).

Sorry for this late response. Please note that Kamil (our staff guy) just came back from vacation, so since Monday we will go back to better response time :)

Also in this case - I just miss your question, because it was fallowed by test message. When I came here I saw only test and didn't put attention on message before it (both was send minute after minute). Sorry - it was my mistake. Even now I was confused what it is about and had come back to the beginning of this conversation to find out why you are writing about some 30 hours, when I was here yesterday and there was nothing addressed to me. Now I know that there was nothing what I noticed - I miss your message mislead by fallowing test message. One more time please take my apologies.

Answering the question you can completely disable flags and set option to redirect users automatically to their languages basing on their browser settings (vBET uses headers send by browser for that). Still this is not advised:
1. By default Google will not see your additional pages. It will if you add those into sitemap. If you will not do this, then those pages will not be indexed, so you will not get additional traffic from new places - people simply will not find out about that
2. Users can come from not their computers. I.e. if someone is from Poland, but will go to your forum from some internet cafe in England, then browser will tell vBET that language should be English. By disabling flags you will not give user chance to change the language.

Custom bbcodes shouldn't be problem if those are really bbcodes. We already had issue with one mod which was using their own "bbcodes", but the issue was because they really didn't use bbcode - just a text which they parsed themselves. Please note that bbcode is not just a text in [] parsed by regular expression. bbcode is special mark which is registered in vBulletin engine and it is parsed by vBulletin engine (you have to plugin to appropriate hooks). If you do not use it that way, then you really do not have bbcode, just special mark recognized by your code. In such case you can have issue. Because in such case it is not bbcode, so it will not be parsed by vBulletin and when lang bbcode will be parsed, it will get text to translate with your special marks which are NOT bbcodes even if are inside [] (because vBulletin didn't recognize it so just leave it) - so this text will be send to translate, and Google can break your special marks (i.e. by putting space before closing ]).

vBET
02-10-10, 22:46
Last time of asking then i wont bother to buy this but install a simple google developers jquery version simply to translate pages!

Please answer my querie above and the following if possible:

I have vbseo and vbseo site map is there anything extra i need to do after purchasing this mod (given that i ever get a response here) to make sure everything works?

I was just answering your question when you wrote this one :)

About vBSEO - yes you have to integrate. It is well described in readme file. This integration is required to be able to translate your URLs :)
You can also integrate with Sitemap Generator, to have URLs to translated pages included in sitemap. This is not necessary (if you have flags, Google will find those pages anyway, still it can take more time in such case).

Simon Lloyd
02-10-10, 22:55
Thanks for replying and explaining, will you be releasing an updated version soon that takes care of the vbseo & sitemap automatically?

If i have to show flags to get the google indexing can i still have automatic language change?

For my custom bbcode i have had to add to php files under the CODE bbcode for my version along with the extra file for the code to look back at it still retains the <pre> tags...etc here's a sample thread Change VBA code printing with selected page (http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/members-excel-vba-programming/207986-change-visual-basic-applications-code-printing-selected-page.html#post741029) do you think there would be problems using vbet on my site?

vBET
02-10-10, 23:20
We will not release vBET version which cakes care about vBSEO and sitemap integration automatically. This is not possible, because those mods do not allows for that (do not have any hooks). That is why integration requires simple code changes - it is described very well in readme file on find-replace level - so it is enought to know how to use text editor bo made it.

You do not must have flags for google if you integrate with sitemap generator. Still we advice to have flags included (already described why). Options for flags management and for redirecting are separated. So you can have it in any sonfiguration set you want. It menas that you can have flags and automatic redirection based on broswer language settings :)

If your special mark (as I wrote, according to vBulletin architecture bbcodes are registered by special vBulletin hook, or also by Admin CP – and I'm still not sure is it done that way) is used only inside of CODE bbocde then I see no problem - content of CODE, PHP and HTML bbodes are not translated :) vBET does it in purpose - there is no sense to translate the code and it would only break the content of those bbcodes.

Simon Lloyd
02-10-10, 23:27
Ok One final question, if i purchase and it breaks my custom bbcode (which is one of the most features of my site) can i uninstall and get a refund within lets say 10 days?

Right now i have google translate (which is the core of your mod) which translates everything (except facebook) including bbcode CODE, if your mod works as intended without translating bbcode i'd be happy to keep it.

vBET
02-10-10, 23:43
If it appears that vBET translates content of CODE bbcode on your forum this will be considered as bug and we will work to correct it. We do not give refund because of bug, we just correct it :)

So if it is as you describe and your special mark is used only inside of CODE bbcode then you can relax and be calm about it. You can write some test messages on our forum so you will see that content of CODE bbcode is not translated by vBET (and text around it is). See here:

This is inside code bbcode and will not be translated if you click any flag. Because of that no text inside of brackets will be changed

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChineseCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishTaiwaneseThaiTurkishUkrainianVietnameseWelshYiddish
Integration with translations by vB Enterprise Translator 4.10.1